Thread: Okami
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #48
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
the stories follow a typical arc of increasing stakes and growing experience and power, the settings are no more eccentric than, say, Super Mario's. There's no obvious reason why they shouldn't have mass-market appeal. Or is it really all about the license?

Licenses and franchises, yes. I've never heard about Okami until SoccerDude started this thread last year, but then I don't own a PS2 anyway. Thing is, I don't see this game as something with "mainstream*" appeal either. Not like that anyway. You don't really need to touch upon stuff like midiculous_dissection_of_gameplay_mechanics. I mean, what's that game about anyway?

Taken from wiki:

Quote:
Set in the Nippon region in an unspecified time in the classical Japanese era, Ōkami combines several Japanese myths and legends to tell the story of how the land was saved from darkness by the Shinto sun goddess named Amaterasu, ...
Need we go on?

I love the style, which is based upon Japanese art, likely not something established in our Western culture of Big Whoppers, Ikea furnitures, plastic boobies and David Hasselhoff. But then, that's the ONLY thing that you can get a crasp of at once. The premise is hardly FIFA International Soccer, where I'm promised to lead my favourite team to win the Champions League, the World Cup, or whatever, but whee, if that isn't an esotheric idea and premise, I don't know what it is. It's Grim Fandango². I don't mean this as something negative, and if I had a PS2, this would be a game I'd look into. If only for the reason that I read about it in this thread (thanks SoccerDude) and made some more research (thanks almighty WWW) afterwards.

* I don't love that word, often it's (over)used in the context of elitist bullshit blanket statements, but more importantly, it always makes me giggle a bit if used in the context of video games. Since they are pretty much still firmly locked into their own "ghetto", so to speak anyway. For the most part, they are. No matter how much more "hardcore gamers" are out there regularly buying games than there were back then. But that's another thing.

Last edited by samIamsad; 03-21-2007 at 11:27 PM.