Thread: RPG Alignment
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #34
TangentBlack
Vigilant

You actually just took a circumlocutory to the question. Just humor me with an answer: What is the difference between the two events? Is it not that humanity events are normally "helping" people in a non-violent, normally passive way (i.e the light side or open palm if you catch my drift) and dehumanizing events are self serviant, violent, and generally aggressive approaches to problems (i.e. the dark side or closed fist). I think that one could sit down if they really wanted to and categorize the decisions you could make and you will generally get a pretty strong dissection between good and evil. I might even venture to say that if one were to really make these decisions in real life, there wouldn't be to much pain in the process of making them.

If you disagree with my definition, then please give me another one, because the game really doesn't provide for anything else. It's possible that we are argueing over semantics. I don't believe the game to actually use the correct dictionary definition of humanity, but rather just a blatent substitute for the good/evil meter. You do good deeds, you stay human. You do misdeed, you turn into a monster (or more of one). Of course there are a few choices here or there that give you the impression that the game has more to offer than just two at a given time, but they manifest only occasionally.

Remember, I am not talking about actual real life philosophy here. I am just argueing that the game veils itself to be more than it actually is. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the game and don't have anything much against it.