Thread: RPG Alignment
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #25
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Games usually rate me as "good", but I always feel like my characters are almost always "evil". There's always a few unjustified homicides, sometimes born through fustration, or sometimes stray bullets/magic make people hostile. Stealing, lots of stealing goes on, all my characters are right cleptos.

I don't set out to be good or evil unless playing through a game again, and trying to get new content. In Fable good characters suck, but the evil ending wasn't that good. In Jade Empire, evil characters aren't that great, and the evil choice near the end is stupid. In the Jedi Knight games, it's good to be Sith.

I'm a relativist, I don't think there is such a thing as good or evil. I'm not a fan of the concept in games. I thought Fallout was based on relativism more than other games (although apparantly interplay made them change one of the endings for being ambiguous). Bloodlines doesn't care whether you're good or evil (although you can turn into an animal when you lose your humanity), but you do get to align yourself with factions. I don't really like making people suffer, even fictional characters. It's more important to be given the ability to reject authority.