Thread: Okami
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #37
No_doubtsy

Journalists keep saying that the industry doesn’t take risks anymore. Games are too violent and mindless. Gamers are always complaining that games today are too short and expensive. They are sick of sequels and the same boring franchises.

Okami is the kind of game that appeals to everybody (Zelda-killer). The quest is huge. Keep in mind that it’s not a RPG where you level up for 30 hours; the unique gameplay is completely story-driven. It’s a 40 hours story. It came out at 40$ (I paid 30$), it got 93% on GameRankings, it’s everything we’ve been asking for and yet it didn’t sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
WHAT!?

A gorgeous, innovative, finely-tuned, totally addictive game that got rave reviews, from the creators of the highly admired Viewtiful Joe? And it flops?

No. I will not accept this. In my world, Okami was a hit, and the Clover guys are all millionaires off their stock options.
The true story is even worse. Clover doesn’t exist anymore. Capcom shut them down because they didn’t sell enough games. They formed a new studio called Seeds. EA is right; keep recycling the same garbage every year if you want to stay in business.

Games like Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and Psychonauts should sell millions.