View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
Kurufinwe

Default Time for a new community playthrough?

It's been over half a year since the last community playthrough and, since adventure releases seem to be a bit slow at the moment, I was wondering if now wouldn't be a good time for a new one. So I'm starting this thread to collect ideas and see if people are interested.

What is community playthrough, you ask? Well, we pick a game, divide it into sections, play it bit by bit following a schedule and discuss it as we go. See the previous playthroughs (Beneath a Steel Sky, 5 Days a Stranger, Gabriel Knight and Conquests of the Longbow) to see how it works.

What's absolutely necessary for a good playthrough?
  • A dedicated person to chair it. That means someone who'll play the game in advance to determine the sections and schedule, and will keep the discussion active and lively. Depending on the game, I could do it, but it's great if someone wants to step in.
  • A game suited to the playthough format. Obviously, it's got to be worth discussing. It should also be fairly linear, so that it can be divided into successive sections (so no DotT or MI2).
  • Participants. Duh. The playthrough won't work if there's nobody playing. So that means people who actually have the game at hand and are willing to take part. That's precisely why I'm starting this thread, to see if we can find enough people interested in a game. Also, having a couple of people discovering the game for the first time is great, so if you have a game you haven't started yet and would like to play alongside others, now's you time to speak up.

So that's it! Now, we need suggestions! Here are my thoughts on the matter. Flight of the Amazon Queen is available for free, and is reasonably linear (as far as I remember), but it's not a terribly interesting game (or even very good), and we've already played several 3rd person games from the early 90s, so I wouldn't be against a change of style. Faust, Sanitarium and The Last Express would be perfectly suited for a playthrough, but I'm not sure enough people have them (speak up if you're interested!). Dreamfall and Fahrenheit would be perfectly suited too, but they're probably too fresh for many people to replay them now (but speak up if you're interested!), and TLJ is far too long. GK3 might be a nice choice (and I haven't played it in ages), as well as GK2 (we'd probably have to divide the chapters in two, but I think that's feasible). Or maybe some people would like a first-person game for a change (even if you think you don't like them, maybe it's time to give them another try)? I've already mentioned Faust and TLE; the Tex Murphy games could work too; so might some of the Myst games (but that would mean force-linearising them); and while Obsidian is always great to play, I'm afraid too few of us actually own it.

I'm sure there are many others possibilities. So, anyone interested?
Quote:
So giving votes to games people have mentioned so far (updated as of post 54):

Gabriel Knight 3 - Blood of yada, yada (9)
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul (8)
Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within (7)
The Last Express (5)
Sanitarium (5)
Full Throttle (4)
Flight of the Amazon Queen (2)
Tex Murphy (in general) (2)
In Memorium/Missing Since January (2)
Egypt 3 (2)
Amerzone (2)
Runaway (2)
The Journeyman Project (1)
Cruise for a Corpse (1)
Secret (or is it Mystery?) of the Nautilus (1)
Post Mortem (1)
Martin Mystere/Crime Stories (1)
Amber: Journeys Beyond (1)
Secret of the Silver Earring (1)
Laura Bow - Dagger of Amon-Ra (1)
Myst III - Exile (1)
Broken Sword 1 (0.5)
Quest for Glory 1 (0.5)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Melanie68; 02-28-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added the vote count...