View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
ATMachine
Retired Buccaneer

Default Sherlock Holmes Serrated Scalpel for 3DO

Thought I'd post about this interesting version of a well-loved adventure from about 15 years ago. (So well-loved in fact it was #9 on the old Top 20 list, as I recall.)

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes was a cool franchise, with heapings of proper Victorian ambience. Unfortunately the PC version of Case of the Serrated Scalpel didn't have voices all the way through, just during a few cutscenes.

Interestingly, though, the 3DO port of Serrated Scalpel not only had full voice throughout the game, it also had digitized video clips of actors (with British accents!) in costume reading the lines, which replaced the characters' stylized mini-portraits found in the PC version. I guess this was sort of a stepping-stone to the use of digitized actors everywhere in Rose Tattoo.

It took me a while to track down this version, but it's definitely a very cool find. Certainly the actors are rather good, and look good in costume. This isn't a repeat of the KQ5 CD.

A curious "feature" is that the journal of conversations recorded by Watson is missing, probably because it got to be hundreds of pages in the PC version and might have been a bit much for the 3DO to process.

A fun fact: The new actors hired for the 3DO port also rerecorded the lines said by other actors for the cutscenes in the PC version.

Perhaps my biggest gripe is that there are only 8 save slots, compared to the original version's 30. Also, the fonts are a little blurry, designed to be read on a TV screen of the mid-1990s. Still, it's a very cool port.

Screenshots below:

If any AGites happen to have a 3DO and want to try it, I think there are a couple of copies available on eBay at the moment.

Last edited by ATMachine; 02-26-2007 at 11:34 AM.