Thread: DS Adventures
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #136
prezzey

I've just finished the first Phoenix Wright game, and OMG I am so in love. I've recently played Runaway, and what a disappointment it was! I couldn't even bring myself to finish it, it was so lackluster in every respect. I thought if this was the genre's future, then, well... *sigh* Butbutbut. I bought the DS to play Japanese-style RPGs, but I was very pleased (and surprised!) to find good adventure games on the platform. Another Code (I bought it with my DS) was very short, but quite interesting, Phoenix Wright was awesome and now I've just started Touch Detective.

I'm very surprised to see the negative reviews (Metacritic average: 60/100) when I enjoy it much more than I did Another Code. And it's a real gosurori game! I wonder if the low ratings it received were due to
1. reviewers not knowing what adventure games are (eg. IGN laments the bad AI. Huh? AI?! In a point-and-click adventure?)
2. adventure gamers turned off by the game design (ie. gosurori style)

I think the only problem I could name up till now (OK, i've just started) is that there is no highlighting for usable objects. That's all. And the music is kind of repetitive. But everything else is Just Fine.

I thought I'd install ScummVM first of all (I have the cards and stuff) but I haven't run out of native DS adventure games yet... I still have Phoenix Wright Justice for All and Hotel Dusk to play.