Thread: Recipes Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #62
lumi

I'm sure most people know how to make rice, but just in case some here don't, here's how I like to do it. You'll need a sauce pan with a clear lid and basmati rice.

As a general rule use 1 cup of rice for 1.5 cups of water.

1. Rinse the rice thoroughly. I like using a sifter so the water gets through and I don't have to constantly stop to pour it out of a bowl. If I remember correctly, this gets rid of the stickiness that makes it clump together.

2. Once that's done, put the rice into the sauce pan and add the water. Let it soak for thirty minutes or more. This'll make it easier for the rice to absorb water later on.

3. For the actual cooking, start off with lid off and the heat on high. Once the water is at a boil, put the lid partly on and set the heat to medium. Watch for the water level to start lowering to the rice and steam holes to appear. When that begins to happen, put the lid on and the heat on low. Once the water looks to have disappeared, turn the heat off and let the rice sit for a few minutes.

4. Fluff and eat!

Remember to not take the lid off once it's on. That'll ruin the cooking process. Steaming should be pretty quick, under ten minutes I think. It's easy to end up with slightly dry rice, but you should quickly get the hang of when to move to the next step.