View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #2163
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
When it comes to anime, there is one film that has to get recommended before anything else, and that's Grave of the Fireflies. Nothing else touches it.
We've been looking all over for this...can't seem to find it here.

As for films seen recently...Rocky Balboa and Apocalypto. The former was a real crowd pleaser...sentimental and feel-good. I enjoyed it. I've always respected Stallone for Rocky, regardless of how low he sank in his later career....

Apocalypto...hmm...I'm just not convinced that Mel Gibson is all that as a director. Like with Passion of the Christ, he ratchets up the tension and action early and just doesn't stop. I suppose I enjoyed the film as a Saturday diversion, but it was exhausting! Also, I had to raise eyebrows at the very one-sided portrayal of the Mayans, enough to where I did some research afterward...there are a lot of inaccuracies in the film. I think it would have been a better film, had they attempted to make the story a bit more realistic (less apocalyptic)...and more blood and guts doesn't necessarily make something "more realistic"...

Still interested in seeing Dream Girls and Blood Diamond...although here in Africa, Blood Diamond is getting panned a bit by people for its stereotypical portrayal of the continent and the people on it...shall have to see for myself...