View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #44
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDave View Post
Don't worry. When you read derogatory remarks about P&C games which are often a back-handed slam of any Myst-like games, consider the source. You missed the most 'telling' comment of the poster in question: '... a large part of the community is intelligent and wants a good story in a game.' This is the same poster who sees a great future for games he likes because there are 'gasp' a few games appearing on the 'earth-shattering, sales-breaking' Nintendo DS. I know when I go into Best Buy or Circuit City in the U.S., the Nintendo DS is lining shelves all over the place!
Not sure if this is meant to be sarcasm or not, but the Nintendo DS is certainly very successful, and is devoted significant space in games and electronics stores (though handhelds never get as much shelf space as stationary consoles).

Quote:
My point has nothing to do with any aversion to story, dialogue-based games- I happen to really like them, though over-all, I prefer P&C games- no, it has to do with the fact that people who prefer story-based 3rd person games resent the fact that a strong sector of the AG community (if not the majority) prefer P&C games and they can't help but show their disdain to the point of making it personal- ie. the remark that infers that somehow we are perhaps less intelligent than those who prefer stories. My response to that is that it takes special intelligence to discern the underlying story in P&C games; we don't have to have a bedtime story read to us.
You seem to contrast "story-based 3rd person games" with point-and-click. This must be some kind of misunderstanding, since most of those games are point-and-click.