View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #75
numble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
And Mafia or Fallout are certanly deeper then S&M or most of the adventure games that came out in recent years.
Sure, never played them, but I'll take your word for it. I'd still say that shooting, driving or upgrading weaponry/armor/items is what motivates people to play these games.

An example, here is what I read as a feature about Mafia:
Quote:
Mafia offers players the opportunity to drive a total of 51 classic cars based off real-life counterparts, in addition to another 19 bonus vehicles (including five classic racing models) available for unlocking in a new mode upon completion of the game's storyline. Unlike the Grand Theft Auto series, however, cars are introduced progressively through time in the storyline, with 1920s models available earlier on during the storyline, while newer varieties from the 1930s appear later. In addition, the players must "learn" how to steal a car by acquiring such knowledge from experts or experience, as opposed to the Grand Theft Auto series, where players are free to acquire any type of vehicle, superior or otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
There were two different, complete plots. New plots, even if they will include characters from previous stories, will be new plots.
As for GF, even the first year introduced many subplots, characters and details. The story progressed with every step, unlike in S&M.
Prismatology has been around as a subplot since Episode 1, and I'm predicting that it will be a big part of the finale. There is also the whole hypnosis of celebrities angle. But regardless, I don't really understand how you can tell whether there are "subplots, characters and details" that will be further revealed in following episodes, since you don't know how the story will turn out. The idea of stolen Number Nine tickets is hinted at in Year One, but not mentioned at all again until Year Three. Besides Manny, Glottis, and a slight mention/cameo of Meche, Rubacava really feels like a whole different story from Year One, which is about Don, Domino, Eva, and Salvador.

---

Basically to summarize, since I feel I might have been a little bit incoherent--you will see that the reviews for adventure games overwhelmingly review the elements of story--setting, environment, characters, writing, jokes/humor in comedies, and plot--while reviews for other games concentrate on other aspects, such as car types, fighting moves, fight system, etc. I once did an overview of all the available reviews on Situation: Comedy, and found that story elements really were what these reviews keyed in on the most. In fact, many reviews mention puzzles and puzzle difficulty more in passing whilst they spend enormous amounts of time talking about the writing, comedy, and jokes.

Last edited by numble; 01-15-2007 at 06:11 PM.