View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #70
numble

Quote:
One day we talk about how adventures differ from other genres due to their deeper stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Please, can you answer my question: where did you see a "deep story" in S&M? The plots are very, very simple. Intro+outro - that's it.
Hey there, you cut off phankiejankie's quote which really said:
Quote:
One day we talk about how adventures differ from other genres due to their deeper stories and dialogue based interaction and sharp writing etc.
I am not phankiejankie, but I think what phankiejankie means with "deeper story" is deeper than other games, not necessarily a "deep story." As such, Sam and Max is certainly deeper than Doom, Madden 2005, Wii Sports, Super Mario, etc.

Comedies are rarely "deep," but that does not mean that it is lacking in the story department. The major elements of story in a comedy, includes elements such as humor, writing and timing. Culture Shock just won the Gamespot award for funniest game of 2006, mostly in part because of the sharp writing and excellent timing:

Quote:
Sam & Max's latest adventure might only be a few hours long, but man, they really pack in a lot of great, funny material into the first episode of the detective duo's latest set of adventures. Almost every single object in the game has at least one line of dialogue associated with it that will make you smile, if not chuckle. And what's more, the game does a pretty good job of getting the timing right. Timing's obviously a huge part of comedy, and getting it right helps send this one over the top.