View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #15296
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Did you read a swedish translation? I've looked for one in online bookstores without luck. Perhaps original language is to prefer anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I've read the Swedish translation of one or two of the books, but the original is very much to prefer. I think they lose quite a bit in the translation. I've only looked for non-translated Discworld books in the last couple of years (10-12), so I suppose things could have improved, but I don't think so. I don't think it's so much that the Swedish translation is badly done. It's more that the books can't be translated to Swedish without losing something.
I always try to read the original version of books as long as I can understand the language.. The problem is that books not translated to norwegian are more expensive and harder to get hold of.. They tend to even translate Scandinavian books.
The only thing I can remember giving up the original of was Shakespeare. I discovered that I had to read the norwegian translation first, to get the story, then read the original version, and try to understand all the words..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery