View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #503
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Okay, let's set aside the personal comments in either direction. PS3L's behaviour won't be tolerated, but we can't ask just him to stop. (I'm pretty sure exactly the same people are reading both threads, so I'll only say this once. )

Y'know, I watch these console threads with some fascination. Despite the accusations, for the most part there really aren't many blind fanboys here. Generally people seem to acknowledge the value in each system even if they favour one over another. So I never quite understand why there's such a need to determine a "best" based on some marginal technical issue, purely hypothetical projections, or something equally obscure. From all the arguments to date, here's what I get out of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

PS3

Pretty awesome machine for the most part
Too bloody expensive for most people
Cool for people who want Blu-ray, lame for those who don't
Highest potential upside, but mainly in ways only technophiles would appreciate
PR blows major chunks
Sony kind of being rat bastards
Not as developer friendly, fewer exclusives (than PS2)
Projection: will be a solid system overall, and still sell boatloads over the life of the machine, particularly after price drops

Xbox360

Still too expensive for a lot of people, but less bloody
Good choice for people interested in HD-DVD; nothing imposed
Slightly less upside, but mainly in ways only technophiles would appreciate
PR manages to not shoot itself in the foot, although nothing special
Nothing overtly negative about Microsoft these days, but it's still Microsoft
More developer friendly, leveling playing field on exclusives
Projection: will be a solid system overall, and still sell boatloads over the life of the machine, particularly after price drops

Wii (even though not directly competing)

Most affordable for most people
Cool for people who want gameplay innovation
Lowest potential upside technically, but determined to win out with gameplay over graphics
PR pretty good, despite the name still sucking (sorry, couldn't resist. )
Nintendo playing the underdog role pretty well, so no one hates them now
Developer friendly, fair number of exclusives
Projection: will be a solid system overall, and still sell boatloads over the life of the machine, drawing in new markets and likely become the chosen second system for the hardcore.

I don't actually see much argument about these points, so really, tell me what I'm missing and why there's a winner and loser in the bunch.