View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 AM   #12
phankiejankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
QFT

In my opinion most of the AG's being released now-a-days are poor to mediocre. A game like Dreamfall comes out and everyone hails it as great, but while it was technically sound and pleasing to the eye it was also as dull as a doornail.
Enough of this crap nostalgia thing, I’ve been there too, I’ve played the same games but I’ve grown up and some of them just don’t seem so appealing any more if you look back at them. Sierra was the Mac Donald’s of adventure gaming, releasing game after game based on the same engine not alike what FPS companies are doing. Not to mention the Larry series… True some of the games were innovative but most of them were just cash cows no better than cash in movie sequences.

Lucas was better, they had a more artistic approach and to cut the long story short their games suit me better but still I can’t see why a game like The Secret of Monkey Island has a better story than Dreamfall. The Secret of Monkey Island is just a comic strip with sharp writing, lots of laughs and light on the brain. Dreamfall is a complex beast that due to it's complexity looses the plot a bit (well kinda monstrous bit) but its way deeper and bigger than any of the old dayz adventures.

Why everyone attacks Dreamfall? Time passes and passes quickly, the Infocom days are dead, the glorious days of the 90s are long over and things (un)fortunately change, get over it. If you don’t want to get over it, retire, like the Williams’ did. If there is a game that drew some attention in the industry about adventure games (yes it is a damn adventure) is Dreamfall plus the Sam n’ Max series. But still the adventure community treats it like a disease… because poor old April acts like a bitch. Way to go girl, open the way for those dreamers than just landed on the reality fence.

Yes today the funding is limited, yes today most adventures are not AAA titles like the Lucas Arts and Sierra adventures were but ranting and trolling and killing every ambitious game before you get to play with it makes the whole thing worse.

Games: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, World of Warcraft
Music: Laurent Garnier - Restrospective, Squarepusher - Hello Everything
Movies: Terry Gilliam - Tideland