View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
akane_t

This trend has gone on the AG forums for a long time now. I've been lurking here forever and know a lot of people who have left the forums altogether. Some of them probably did so because of what bysmitty referred to. I wouldn't call most of the negative people trolls though. Many of them clearly are knowledgeable about adventure games and at one point, actually enjoyed playing them. Their constant criticisms of various recent adventure games and the developers who made them can be exhausting and exasperating but since they do have a point to make most of the times, they should not be called trolls or be kicked out in my opinion. I actually think that the negative trend has actually gotten better recently.

I still do wish every veteran members of the forum be more encouraging and positive. When someone, especially a newbie, makes a post on the forums and say that they tried a recent adventure game (let's say Runaway2) and they liked it a lot, instead of jumping down on his/her throat and claim that they don't know what they are talking about because the game sucks and he/she should play Monkey Island instead, why not be more encouraging? Why not suggest that they should try the Bone or new Sam and Max games or Ankh if they liked Runaway. Why not try to be more supportive and positive for a change instead of crapping on the games and the developers all the time? Constructive criticism is great and welcomed by everyone but a wholesale attack on the genre without even trying out some of the games seem unwarranted. This is all IMO of course.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet