View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #37
NemelChelovek
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
The definition of story as requiring conflict, or drama as conflict, is nothing more than a western prejudice of very recent invention.
I can think of many non-western examples of conflict-oriented stories from long, long ago in the east, mid-east and Africa. The Japanese tale of Susanoo and the Eight-Forked Serpent, for instance, or the Persian tales of Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu? What about the innumerable tales of Anansi? Look through almost any mythology in the world and you'll find conflict present in most tales. I'm not going to say it's present in ALL mythologies, because that's a blanket generalization that I can't possibly prove, but I can say with confidence that it's a major feature of many non-western myths.

And, assuming the concept WAS western in origin, why is that necessarily a negative thing?

Quote:
Audiences actully think this is a good thing. They think being hooked is something desirable. It is an arbitrary and narrow-minded view, also in great part the reason the world is in deep trouble.
If someone thinks being hooked is a desirable thing, then it's a desirable thing for that person. Maybe it's not desirable for you, but you're not everyone. Thinking that being hooked is desirable is neither arbitrary nor narrow-minded, it's a matter of taste; you can't say that enjoying the taste of peanuts is arbitrary and narrow-minded, can you? A person enjoys what they enjoy. If you believe it puts the world in trouble, that's your opinion, but I think that's a bit like arresting a gun for murder. People's tastes don't threaten the world, people's actions do. I don't think governments go to war because they read about it in a book.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson