View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #26
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Absolutely disagree with all of the above. The definition of story as requiring conflict, or drama as conflict, is nothing more than a western prejudice of very recent invention.
If it's so recent, where are all the pre-prejudice, conflict-less stories? From the very first stories we have preserved, such as the epic of Gilgamesh and so forth, conflict seems pretty much universal.

I'm reminded of Tolkien writing about how the times that are most pleasant to live through are the least interesting to hear about, and to tell about.

Quote:
Godfrey Reggio, Ron Fricke, and Philip Glass did a similar thing in film with Koyaanisqatsi and the results were spectacular, liberating. They did not trap the viewer in the ubiquitous tentacles of western psychodrama, whose basic aim is to increase the tension in the audience rather than release them of it.
I have never seen Koyaanisqatsi in full (I often listen to the CD), but I've always been under the impression that the film was about different ways of life, and how our modern world is "out of balance" with nature. That's a conflict. I'm sure many people would say that the movie doesn't have a story, anyway.