Thread: Audio Files
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Okay, I'm gonna give y'all a new piece, and I think you'll like it even if you didn't care for the last piece I put here at all, 'cause it's completely different in style. But first, let me tell you its story.

On September 11 of this year, I was doing nothing in particular on the computer, my mind wandering, when a theme came to me. Sort of a low cello theme, really, with a pretty indistinct rhythm. I tried playing it on the piano and it didn't sound right, so I did something I'd never tried before: I harmonized with the piano while singing the melody. Now, this was the sort of gorgeous theme that I just completely fell in love with, the sort of theme I didn't push to go anywhere because I was perfectly content with singing the same thing over and over and over. And so I did. It was the sort of theme I knew I wanted to remember forever and play over and over and over again for the rest of my life. I get pretty worked up about this stuff.

Then I left the house for an hour, humming to myself. When I came back, I sat at the piano and started playing, but it wasn't right! What I was playing didn't sound anything like what I remembered- I couldn't remember any of it! I became completely depressed, and sat around miserable for a few hours trying to remember how it went. My memory isn't good, you see, and I'd forgotten piano pieces I liked many times in the past. So I was very worried that I'd never get to sing it again. And I made a mental note that September 11 2006 was the day I forgot one of my favorite musical themes. I tried getting back to my computer, to do other things, but I couldn't concentrate on anything but the hole in my memory where the music had been. But I kept trying to remember anything substantial from the piece, and eventually I did. And it all came rushing back, and I played it and sang it over and over and over again.

I didn't develop the piece at all after that, because it didn't need to be developed at all. I just continued to repeat it. A little while later, I went to this guy with recording equipment to record a bunch of my pieces on an electronic piano. I'd been planning on doing that for a while, though I hadn't played on an electronic piano in years, and certainly never for the purpose of any sort of recording. Well, as I was there recording for two hours altogether, I decided I wanted to do something with my latest theme. So I played a duet with myself: First I played a harmony with the piano voice, deciding as I went along what the melody would sound like later. Then, remembering what I'd decided, I played the melody in a strings voice while listening to the piano so that I could play along. It'd been much too long a time since I had the opportunity to improvise a duet with someone else, and this was almost as satisfying. I was really just experimenting, with no idea of how it'd sound in the end, but I felt that the very first try was very successful. It's extremely imprecise and chaotic, and I actually think that adds to its charm. You can decide for yourself.

Sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Quality-wise, this is what I'm most proud of from that recording session, but if you like I'll give you two more. The first one is to make up for the lousy quality of the last time I posted the same piece here, and the second is a fairly simple classical piece I played with the piano+strings voice combo. Yes, I know that that's not professional, but it's very fitting here. Anyway:

Prism

A Sixth, Faintly

By the way, I'd be curious to know how you'd classify my style. I listen to very little music, so I don't have any points of reference.
And because none of the three are bombastic enough to go in a thread which has been described as "Pimp My Band", I'll add in a fourth:

The Tempest