View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #28
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I'm certainly all for deep, controversial subject matter in games, and support the existence of serious, mature games wholeheartedly. Whether I'd play such a game myself, however, depends on what kind of mood I'm in. As with movies and books, sometimes I want to be entertained, sometimes I want to be made to think, and sometimes I want a bit of both.
That's pretty much my stance on it. I want to plunge deep into 'mature' subject matter - in games, literature, film, etc. - because I'm always up to being enlightened, even if I have to go through tears for it. Who knows, it may change how I view the world, and how I view myself in the world. But then there are times when I'd like to simply experience a game as a game and have fun. Not all games should feature depth and serious issues, just as not all games should only be about blue skies and pink bunny rabbits.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien