View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #23
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I'm very serious.

For most people, the reason they do not steal is that they have a moral compass that tells them it is wrong, and this is enough to keep them from doing so. In criminals this moral compass is absent, and thus they have nothing to prevent them from thieving. Prison is not a deterrent, you can lock them up as many times as you like, and statistics show in the vast majority of cases they will be reoffending straight away.
These people are broken, and will never be valuable members of society.
I disagree completely in that all criminals "broken," we don't know why this kid stole the PS3 or broke the guy's jaw; we don't know what he's like or if his family would say he's a good kid. Typically if the people are "broken" it's because of a bad environment when growing up/schooling and not because they're inherantly depraved. Excepting matters of mental faculties, people are driven to do bad deeds, they don't just commit them for the sake of doing it. Also, "moral" is not equivalent to "law-abiding."

Quote:
That said, I do not condone the actions of the police in this instance. I am a strong supporter of law and order, and believe everyone deserves a fair trial, not summary "justice" handed out Judge Dredd style.
I agree. I feel like this incident was just a mistake committed by one police officer, perhaps an undisciplined one, and that he should probably be forgiven.

Quote:
I have zero tolerance for criminals, and favour a three-strikes law like they have in California. Once a criminal has shown their intention to keep reoffending, they should be locked up permanently. I'm also not particularly in favour of the death penalty, I'd rather these people were forced to work off their debt to society, rather than get the easy way out.
Hmm, again, I find that particularly cruel. Zero tolerance in anything just shows a lack of compassion. Also, the reason the death penalty is wrong is not because it's an "easy way out," but because it calls into question the "morals" of the state, eye for an eye and all that, but I do agree that it is wrong.

Quote:
My point is though, assuming this individual was the perpetrator of the crime in question, I feel absolutely no sorrow for the death of a man who would brutally beat and rob an innocent law abiding citizen.
I'm sorry but I just don't think battery/robbery is equivalent to death. There were better ways to handle this. I don't know the kid and I don't know the robbery victim and I don't know the police officer(s) that fired, but when it comes to a man's life I say you have to know EVERYTHING to be able to reasonably condemn him.

Quote:
This man made his bed, and now he has to lie in it - six feet under in a pine box.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.