View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #86
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
LOL, sorry to say AFGNCAAP, but some must be awarded for bad reading.
No problem, don't be so harsh on yourself.

But seriously. The point I'm trying to make is exactly the same as Crimson's, so if you think he is making sense, so am I. I know what you said. But because the improvement was minor, it's erroneous to say that LucasArts' interface didn't gain much influence on the genre, but Sierra's did - because they were, for all intents and purposes, the same! You could make an argument like this if the first SCUMM games weren't popular, but Maniac Mansion or The Last Crusade were huge hits, and Sierra was clearly aware of their success when introducing the point'n'click into their games.

To use an analogy, it would be like saying that Toy Story 2 was more influential in the world of animation than Toy Story 1. Sure, the second film could have been a better example of CGI animation, due to four additional years of technical progress, and the creators being more experienced with the medium. But it was the original that was a qualitative difference compared to everything that came before. After that there was "only" fine-tuning.