View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #54
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
It seems possible that a game that only one person have put on the list and ranked number one will end up being the Number One Adventure Game although the game isn't popular to the majority of Adveture Gamers.
Then that is the desired result. Even if only one person of those bothering to post in this thread has played The Best Game Ever, it still deserves the top spot. (Note that a list that only says "1. Unknown Game - 2. Badly Ranked Game" won't place Unknown Game at the top. It'll only place it just above Badly Ranked Game. For Unknown Game to place in the top, the person ranking it must also be ranking the game that would have been number one.) The idea is not to find the game most people have played. (Though such statistics could also be compiled from this thread, and might also be interesting...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Trumgottist, assuming optimistically there ever is enough data to tally the votes, there will most certainly be a lot of ties during the listmaking. Two types of ties, really: between pairs (ie. A wins with B by a margin of seven votes, and also C wins with D by a margin of seven votes), and - more problematic - within pairs (X>Y gets as much votes as Y>X). Have you already planned how would you deal with them?
No, I haven't given this much thought yet, but the AB, CD thing shouldn't be a problem. A ranks above B and C above D. There should be other pairs to sort out the rest.

My initial reaction to the XY thing is to let those rankings cancel each other out and disregard the XY pair. If doing that leaves too little data to compile a list than so be it. Then we get no list.