View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #52
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I was joking. I have no intentions of sabotaging this thing. I was just trying to make a point of how silly it is that one person's vote for a rather unpopular title can hold so much sway.
Not unpopular: unknown. The algorithm assumes that people are listing all the adventure games they've played. So if only one person mentioned Bioforge, it assumes that only that person played it*, and if that person gave it a #1 spot, then it concludes that it must be an unknown gem, and the game gets a high rank in the final tally. Of course, if people only list their top-something instead of all the games they've played, or if they can't agree on what games should be included in the poll or not, then the final results are bound to look odd.

* which is different from a top-10, -20, etc., where not listing a game can either mean that you liked it least than all those you listed, or that you haven't played it, which of course induces a strong bias towards games everybody has played, which is probably why all the top spots always end up going to Sierra/LucasArts games in that sort of polls; and that's one of the problems Trumgottist's method tries to address.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]