View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Josho
Third Guy from Andromeda

Rtrooney,

Oh, yes, as Art Linkletter used to say, "I heartily endorse this project." :-) I was flabbergasted when Michael contacted me about it; it was already up and running.

Fov,

Without hiring a lawyer, it's just impossible to know what the rights situation is. I've spoken to both Bob Bates and Mike Verdu about it, and what's clear is that at the time that the rights reverted to Legend from Take 2, Legend was a subsidiary of Atari, but Atari had only bought certain specific assets of the company -- and Callahan's was not part of the package. So what sort of status, then, are the rights?

Spider was kind enough to grant non-exclusive rights to distribute the game for the next two years, for nothing -- because he, as I, would rather see people play the game, even for free, than not.

So...I guess updating the game for the XP, done in an aboveboard and scrupulously legal fashion, would involve hiring a lawyer and establishing the status of the rights. Neither Bob nor Mike could definitively answer the question.

--Josh