View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Arkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Well said. And no, there are no games like The Last Express. I'm sorry. It's just a brilliant game that still, 9 years later, has no imitator that comes close.
Its truly amazing how talented Jordan Mechner is. Its also equally shameful that his greatest masterpiece's commercial failure likely ended his game developing career.

So many hack developers announce ambitious games, with features and design elements so innovative and ingenious that the gaming public is swept away by the promises...and much more often than not, very few of the promises are ever fully kept, very few ambitions truly met.

But The Last Express set out to do everything it the technology of the time and the limits of human imagination would allow, and did so as magnificently as interactive entertainment has ever been able to.

Hopefully something will come in the future that will define a genre and create a unique experience as brilliantly as Last Express did. I only wish I'd bought it when it was first released, if only to support Mechner.