View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 03:49 PM   #1673
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Was at The Departed yesterday, but had to leave after the first half-hour. Sister was taken to the ER, so will either pay to see it AGAIN, or wait til Dad gets it on Netflix, and lets me borrow it...damn shame, it had a really twisted-looking plot.
You left The Departed...for that?

I kid, I kid...sucks about your sister, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrabin
I liked the Departed, but after giving the viewing a little space, I feel like the Departed is really only a glorified action movie. I wish it could have been more intimate and grittier. Instead it plays in the same vein as Gangs of New York as an epic Hollywood movie, which is fine. It's just a movie that you see, enjoy, and leave at the door.
Perhaps I will come to the same conclusion, but I severely doubt it. This movie was far too intelligent (writing, visuals, staging, audio, editing) to be simply a "glorified action movie." There were little things I haven't seen before on this scale, particularly in the editing and the sound (abruptly stopping the music with a scene change or the appearance of a cell phone, for instance). There were some interesting issues: communication without seeing or hearing, the idea of "family," the prevalence of headshots, the mirroring of the two protagonists/antagonists...whatever. I dunno, while it was enjoyable in a mainstream way, it was clearly more than a run-of-the-mill action movie to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrabin
I'm looking forward to the coming weekend. It's going to be a great day for film buffs: The Prestige by Christopher Nolan, Marie Antoinette by Sofia Coppola, and Flags of Our Fathers by Clint Eastwood all coming out.

Which ones are you planning on seeing?
All of them eventually. Probably won't get to see any during the weekend itself because I have a paper (my first film paper!) due that week.