View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #72
Hammerite
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Dear AG Community Blog/community of readers,

And so it begins. As of tomorrow I'm back in the surreal world of Oxford University, preparing to embark upon another year of learning history. Or perhaps that should be pretending to learn history, as I seem to spend more of my time doing extra-curricular music .

Anyway, it's at this time each term that I suddenly feel a whole load of anxiety. I like things to be regular and predictable around me - I'm a terrible sucker for continuity - and so I always hate moving away from home for any extended period. I'm paranoid that I'll get there and then realise that I forgot to pack things that I'd like to have, and so on. And then there's the work; I've done precious little genuine reading this vacation - curse my post-exam laziness - so I'm going to have to suddenly increase my workload substantially.

All this combined with the wonders of Freshers' Week. Come Sunday all the newbies will be descending upon college, and I'm going to have to suddenly morph into a friendly, cheerful, positive individual in my capacity as president of my college's music society (the UCMS; come to our end of term concert!™). I'm also beginning to worry myself about my potential inadequacies as a conductor (I'm in charge of the Largest Non-Auditioning Choir in Oxford™ now), so I probably just need to stop thinking about that. Yay for jumping in at the deep end.

That aside, it will be nice to meet up with friends acquaintances again. After a year at university I've realised that pretty much nothing happens in my home town, which is fine when trying to relax, but not much use when you actually want to do stuff.

So, yeah. I'm off to go and feel anxious somewhere. And to wonder if I've finished packing yet again. Hopefully I'll have internet access as soon as I arrive though, so you won't even notice that I've moved. Sorry that you won't be getting time off from me.

Love you all,

R. "Should have added the Westgarth-" Lacey
you study history?
thats odd, because my dad owns a book about the first millenium AD written by Robert Lacey, who appears to have written many other books on history.