View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Default The AG Community Blog

It's amazing how a small change can transform your entire look. I decided that I'm a bit tired of slouchy bootcut jeans, everyone and their grandmother wears them so, since it's a new season anyway, I opted for something new: a much leaner line. Went to Gap after work and got a couple pairs - severely skinny skin tight dark denim jeans, and very narrow stovepipe charcoal flannel trousers. The trick was that I got them in the women's section, men's versions are too wide in the leg for someone small like me. Again (like last time) I found that a size 2 fit me perfectly.

Anyway, I love the new look, harkens back to rockers Patti Smith, Chrissie Hynde, and Blondie, the kind of severe leanness that inspires Hedi Slimane's menswear for Dior Homme (see pic below), Anne Demeulemeester's womenswear, and Raf Simons' menswear. Not everyone can wear this look successfully. It's quite unforgiving. You must be thin to start and have a certain way of carrying yourself (I think of others here who could do this look and the first ones I come up with are Dasilva and Glenn Epic). I've seen young L.A. kids (emos, rockers) do their street version of it, Japanese boys with Sonic the Hedgehog hair, tall gaunt punkers who wear them with mohawks, chains, and combat boots, and the most refined ones interpreted by Dior Homme and European labels like A.P.C. and agnes b. Ironically, I actually used to dress this way back in the mid 90s, though back then it was skinny with a 60s edge. I'm opting for the more tailored but slouched version (military style jacket, denim jacket, turtleneck, v-neck sweaters, skater shoes).

The thing is that I already own many pieces to go with these skinny pants - sweaters, t-shirts, jackets, sneakers, black leather mod boots (if needed for a night out). I've had them all along, but it's ultimately the silhouette, the line, that I wanted to alter, and the most efficient way to do that is through the cut of the pants. w00t, fall is here. It's always nice to spend little but affect your mood a lot.

Feel free to blog about whatever you want in this thread. You're next!
Attached Images

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-25-2006 at 09:01 PM.