View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #1637
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I don't subscribe to the theory that something bad is okay if it's intentionally bad. I don't care that Kubrick didn't want me to connect with those people; he failed to have me connect to HAL (who just came across as creepy to me), and so I felt no connection to any of the characters. Regardless of whether that was his message or not, it left me as a viewer feeling bored rather than thoughtful. It didn't work.
I guess that's respectable, just a very mainstream-movie-goer type of opinion, though. A movie has to have a narrative that has a point, character development, some humor, a big acting scene for the Oscar reels, story-based rather than imagery-based ideas, etc etc. That's not meant to be condescending, just how your average joe movie-goer thinks, I believe.

And HAL is supposed to be creepy...but because you realize towards the end that he's more human than the humans. It's a very uncanny kind of creepiness that HAL creates with his almost-humanlike voice and almost-humanlike thoughts. So, he didn't fail in that respect.