View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
Ariel Type
LA-S-LE

Default Ween: The Prophecy review

Well, it's just my opinion, but I completely disagree with the review and the final score. Ween, being my second favourite Coktel game after Goblins series, is in need of defence, I see.
First of all, the review doesn't mention that this is a sequel of sort to an earlier attempt in adventure making. It was called "Legend of Djel" and share the same universe and characters.
Secondly, the graphics. I was very surprised to see "the graphics are also often unimpressive" in the context. C'mon, it was one of the most impressive adventure games for its time (1992!). The pictures are beautiful and highly detailed, the drawn characters are memorable, and as for FMV - it was new at that time, and the attempt made in Ween was rather good.
"The lack of even a single joke" was also a surprise. The game never takes itself seriosly, as a matter of fact. It is all about funny characters and situations. Just remember that little stupid insect, or dragon turned into fly, or wonderful Urn ("I feel merry when I hear word strawberry"). You have a cold heart if these moments didn't touch you (joking)
There was no mention of alternative paths. There are two moments in the game when you can choose your path, which adds replayability. There is also a maze of sort with different rooms and paths, full of puzzles, and they also can be solved randomly.
The puzzles themselfs are very inventive and fun to solve. As a matter of fact, the whole game is played more like first-person Goblins. There are many unique opportunities which were introduced in the game - making of different potions, use of sacred objects (there were actually only three of them, and they were easy to recognise, as they were all made of iron), the help of friends.. The game gets harder near the end, and the puzzles become more obscure. But for the most time they are very fun to solve and, again, surves as a nostalgie for Goblins nicely.
I think the conclusions made in the review are unfair. There are very few games of such type and style (and almost all of them belong to Coktel), and it is sad to see that people try to kill them with their sharp word.. But well, everyone has his own opinion.
P.S. I just wish Coktel Vision will return somedays to adventure gaming..

Edit: Sorry for the second thread, didn't see the first coming)