View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #1602
Lucien21
Psychonaut

little MISS SUNSHINE

Oh so wants to be a Wes Anderson movie. Take one disfunctional family (Father worst motivational guru on the planet. Son with vow of silence and a Neitchze fascination, Mother barely holding it together, Gay suicidal brother, Grandad who is snorting coke and a little Ugly Duckling girl who wants to win a beauty pagent) lock them in a van on a cross country drive of enlightenment to a little MISS SUNSHINE pagent.

It was funny and sad at the same time, the performances were spot on, but somehow I wasn't as enamered with the film as critics were suggesting. Good, but not brilliant.

Right at your Door

Superb film that felt more like a documentary. Most of the action centres around the two lead characters and one house.

Terrorists set off 3 "dirty bombs" in LA during rush hour which sends up poisened ash clouds. Husband stuck at home, wife was on the way to work LA is quarantined with people told to seal up their houses, don't let anyone in as anyone exposed could be a fatal carrier. Wife comes back home but is infected. Cue lots of heartfelt conversations and phone calls as nobody knows what is going on. The confusion is told mostly via the constant radio on in the background as the drama unfolds.

The film captures perfectly the confusion and terror following an attack of such magnitude. (or at least what I imagine would happen)

One hell of a twist in the tale at the end.

Excellent.