View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
jacog
Kung Fu Code Poet

Trying to define things always leads to some discrepancies.

Myst for example... currently playing IV. By some of the above definitions it can't really be called "3D" because it's all pre-rendered with some real-time stuff over it, but then it's not really "2.5D" like your Syberias etc and you certainly can't call the format "2D" either. Shall we call it "2.9D" ? At the same time, it is first person and supports stereo 3D glasses, which makes it 3D by (Crapstorm's definition). But then it includes FMV, which adds another crook in the crank.

And to build on what colpet said in the opening post... are we talking about the rendering or the movement? Pre-rendered vs real-time rendered? All or partially realtime or pre-rendered?

Po-tay-to po-tah-to, spanner, wrench. My wife's American, I am South African... if we had to argue about the definition of what a "biscuit" actually is, we'd never enjoy them with dinner, whether they be by her or by my definition.

I guess it does become relevant when one has to ask whether a game will beat the crap out of my PC's video hardware or not.

-----8<------ snip ------8<------

... cut out the rest of my post, ranting on and on and on and on about labels and narrowmindedness etc. Thought I'd spare you all the horror.