View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
Steve Ince
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye
Here is where I have the delima. Because the player did not pick up the key and did not have any fuses left, when they entered the second room, they created a dead end scenario.

Should I, in all fairness to the player, structure the game so that there is no possible way for them to accidently find themselves in a dead end situation?
What you need to appreciate here is that you, as the designer, created the dead end scenario, not the player. Unless the player had advanced knowledge that his/her actions will put them in this situation you are being very unfair on the player.

I also think that you are effectively having a double-locked door to bar progress and that while the two puzzles may be perfectly good, piling one on top of another in this way is not the ideal setup if the player down't have the means to solve the problem.

Forcing the player to restore a saved game, taking knowledge back that the character couldn't know, breaks the suspension of disbelief. The character is effectively using knowledge that he or she doesn't have.