View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
TMK

Hi all, first post here

I recently found a dead end in a really nice ADV. , The BLack Mirror.

LEt's see how to say it without spoilering...You have to front a "Blocking Thing", and you have a limited amout of objects needeed to pass that thing, and you collected them just a second before that moment.
You need to use those objects, and before doing that he says "i need to do this carefully".I supposed it was just a comment on that situation as always, and i just clicked on the blocking thing, as it was the only thing i could do \\ it's a scumm style interface..Wasted the objects without even understanding i had to really be carefull....and anyway, how could i be careful? It's point-and-click SCUMM-style, i pointed the objects with pixel hunting precision, but who knows what the programmer decide to be "the right spot"?

Well, i saved like 3 hours before the event, cause the game is easy and also has real time calculation, and had to replay it again.
On the boards, there were lot of peole frustrated with the dead end, stucked with a simple task that they couldn't understand it was at risk of being a dead end.

It was useless.It was not an ability trial, it was not useful for the story or the puzzles, it didn't add anything to the game at all, it didn't really clarify that there was such a risk, and it was more similar to a bug then to a gameplay feature.

I mean, if you make the thing clear - don't waste the fuse otherwise you'll regret it - ok it's my fault and i accept that, but if you put an *impossible to figure out before* dead end, then it's just a programmer trick that let you waste time and nerves only.

a dead end is almost useless in that sense.If you want to "punish" the gamer for wasting the fuses, then do this way: if he kept the fuses, he goes straight to the key.If he doesn't he has to front a major difficult painful puzzle or long series of things to reach the key.Game gains on repleyability and smartness.