View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
Skye

Default Dead Ends in Games

I realize this is a BAD thing in adventure games but I need to get some input from the players . . .

Here is a scenario:

You are in a room and you open a desk drawer and find in it a peculiar looking key. For some reason you decide not to pick up the key. You leave the room to explore elsewhere.

You pass through a mechanical door into another room with a locked door at one end. This door has a lock that matches the key you saw in the desk. You decide to go back and get the key.

The door through which you entered the room is mechanical (as already mentioned), and has a fuse panel by it. It closed behind you when you entered.

When you go to leave the room, you find that the door you came in through won't open. Examination of the fuse panel shows that a fuse has blown and you don't have any more good fuses left. Boxes of fuses are scattered throughout the game but there are none in this room.

Here is where I have the delima. Because the player did not pick up the key and did not have any fuses left, when they entered the second room, they created a dead end scenario.

Should I, in all fairness to the player, structure the game so that there is no possible way for them to accidently find themselves in a dead end situation?

Your comments appreciated
- First Indie Adventure Game
To Use A.I. Randomizer Technology,
- 7 years in the making!!!

Released Dec 16, 2006 !!! Order yours now at:
http://www.Sagewood-Software.ca