View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 AM   #1544
LeisureSuitedLooney
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
So you've seen the happy ending?
Yup...although, even as a happy ending, it was pretty damn bleak.

SPOILERS:

Spoiler:
The main character, having just stabbed her best friend in the leg, makes a run for it. She gets out of the cave, through the alternate cave opening they had all theorized, throughout the film, MUST exist. She makes a mad dash for the cars, hops into the vehicle she arrived in, and is gasping for breath, amazed to have made it. She leans out of the car, when she pulls herself back in again, the friend she killed is on the other seat, staring at her and showing physical signs of damage. The main character screams, credits roll.

It's a "happy" ending, because she managed to be the only one to escape the cave creatures...although she's scarred psychologically, probably for life. But she gets to live.

The original ending, which I saw on YouTube, has all of the above, but when she screams, she's back in the cave again. It was all nothing more than a hallucination of false hope. She sees a birthday cake in front of her, which was an image seen throughout the movie...when it started, her daughter and husband had died on the daughter's birthday. She looks up from the cake, to see her dead daughter smiling at her, from the other side of the cake. She suggests they blow out the candles together....

Then, the camera switches perspectives, and we see that the "cake" is just a makeshift campfire/torch. She's staring at it dreamily, as the camera begins to drift upwards, and as we get further from her, we can see the creatures are above her, surrounding her, waiting to swoop in and eat the last survivor. As the screen fades to black, you can hear the creatures making their snarling, hissing sounds...

Bleak? Oh, YEAH. But made for a much more effective ending, I think. Reminded me of the hallucinations at the end of Session 9, hope they have both endings on the dvd....