View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #1535
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Immortel
Spelt correctly. It's French, though filmed in english.

I did a forum search if I'd written a review - could've sworn I did - but it returned no results, and I don't want to go through all the pages of this thread, so if I'm boring you with a repetition of old news, sorry.

BoyToy bought me the 2-DVD version of this, and so I watched it again. It's still an amazing masterpiece - not technically, you can see what's CG and what's not, but you'd be surprised when watching it... it takes a moment for you to notice there are CG characters and non-CG characters. They may look differently - but they don't clash, and so it takes an ever so brief conscious effort to become aware of the difference.

I'm currently listening to the song of the end credits on repeat (Venus - Beautiful Days).

It's a strange story. It's a mixture of drama, sci-fi and fantasy, though the last is most prominent. It's thouroughly magical - the world is infinitely complex: the movie is based on the comics of Enki Bilal, who's also made this movie, so there are many details that make you wonder where they are from, why there are there, and those questions are not answered - you are left having to accept them, and indulge in the fraction of the universe that the story talks about.

I recommend this movie - it's unusual.

It's reminiscent of The Fifth Element paired with Final Fantasy (CG-wise) - though as far as I know, TFE was heavily inspired by Enki Bilal anyway, so this is certainly no copying on sides of Bilal. The story itself is fairly gritty and down to earth - but I will leave the up to you to discover.

Horus.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™