View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #48
Bobske
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
Overrated Adventures:

Syberia 1&2: Personally, I didn't like these games at all. They looked great, but I just didn't get involved with the characters. The story seemed a bit boring to me, as well as the fact that there was hardly anything to interact with.
I totally agree with you!

Also overrated (yeah you can kill me later ) Grim Fandango! There is a reason this game didn't sell well... I really disliked the crappy control system. I don't know why I got so upset, but it was one of the main reasons it took me so long to get back to it and complete it. In addition, some of the puzzles like finding the tunnel (see some posts above) were really bad. Almost as bad as the whole GK-cat-syrup-disguise puzzle. I loved the music and voice overs though.

Overrated: Myst. I bought this game because of a review in PC Review magazine. The game was rated a 9 and hailed as the future of adventure gaming... WHOEHAHAHAHA! Man, I hate Myst...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
Underrated Adventures:

Most of Sierra's games: I've been getting more and more fed up with the LucasArts snobbery on the boards as of late. Besides the Gabriel Knight series, it seems quite a few people are out to constantly bash Sierra's adventure games, and for the same two reasons: You can die, and you can get stuck. Personally, I like both aspects, as it makes me play the games much more thoroughly. I look at everything, try to pick up everything, etc... And save often.
And again, I totally agree with you. Yes, many Sierra games have crappy puzzles but to me Sierra games were more interesting and more fun. I'm not going into detail why I think Sierra is better but I do And indeed; Save early, save often!

Underrated: Quest for Glory IV. Too many bugs and bad technical support destroyed this game! But still, the characters, the replayability, the music and the fact that about everybody new to adventure gaming could complete this game made it a special one of a kind hybrid. Too bad the game didn't have a proper opening and ending...

Also underrated: Toonstruck. This game also didn't sell well. Crappy advertising and reviewers who thought is was a kiddy game really destroyed the small possibilities of Toonstruck being a succes.

The Dreamweb. Don't think many people here have played The Dreamweb, but the mature setting and story really appealed to me. Also, this adventure game was totally unique at the time.