View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #51
Orange Brat
OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordalles
yeah, obviously i know you can do a lot more with realtime. but do THEY do a lot more with the realtime backgrounds? was it necessary for THEIR game. do they let you rotate the backgrounds anyway you like, or stuff like that? or do we see every background in their game from a certain angle, making realtime pointless, because it would have been the same pre-rendering it then. which could have lead to more polygons on the characters, and higher quality backgrounds. please read my posts more carefully if you are going to quote me.
I did read it carefully, and it's not pointless. As has already been stated, the camera movement during cutscenes would not be possible without a realtime engine. Prerendered movies could take their place, but then you're taken out of the game world. Realtime allows you to play with the camera during cutscenes and eliminates static. You also get a lot more flexibility and features with particles and other realtime goodies that are easier to manipulate in realtime. It probably wouldn't hurt if the developers would throw in an occasional camera swoop from one section of a level to another during actual gameplay like Broken Sword 3 or Eternal Darkness, though. It would add a bit of pazzazz.