View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 AM   #52
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
So I'm leaving for Scotland at the end of next month. Car's rent, flight's booked.

Now where should I go? I've bought a tourist guide, but if anyone knows of places where they think I should go, I'm interested (previous suggestions having already been noted, of course).
Oh you lucky person! I love Scotland, and have a few suggestions.

If you enjoy peaceful green mountains, hill walking, and fresh highland air, head to the extreme Northwest to a weeee weeeee little village called Camas Luinie (sp?), which is near Plockton and Dornie, if I recall. It's also right near the bridge to Skye, if you feel like heading into the Hebrides. It's a very small village, but there is an excellent little hostel and a B&B, run by the nicest fellow in the universe. I spent a few days there all by myself one winter. Beautiful place for solitude and nature.

Another possibility is Knoydart. A few small boats go over the loch from Mallaig to Inverie on the Knoydart Peninsula regularly with groceries and stuff for the villagers and you can get a ride. It's not actually an island, but you can only get there by boat, unless you want to hike for 20 miles or something. That too is peaceful and small.... Lots of wilderness and hiking...There's a nice pub that does all the classic pub fare, as well as inns and B&Bs. There's a rustic hostel there too.

If you like energetic places, then try Glasgow. I find Glasgow to be super friendly, fun, and bustling. The museums are all free too, which helps keep costs down. Edinburgh has lovely architecture, but so does Glasgow, just in a more Victorian way. The catholic cathedral is an interesting place to visit, as is the big dark graveyard up on the hill nearby, the one with the huuuuuge monuments.

Inverness presents lots of good drives out into the country. You should see Culloden Battlefield and Loch Ness itself. The Loch Ness exhibits are really cheesy and touristy though, so I'd avoid them unless you like kitsch.

In my opinion, Stirling is the best castle in Scotland (of course I haven't seen them all yet), and the countryside around it is very pretty. The cemetery is also very beautiful.

Jeepers...the North is gorgeous as well, I've only visted the Northern Islands of Shetland and Orkney in winter, so I can't say how they'd be in Summer, but they present a very different Scotland and they feel very Nordic...few trees, rock fences, sheep, mounds, runes, dark wide skies, and a unique dialect. Very worth going up there if you can find the time.

Where all are you planning on going so far? I'm pea green with envy.