View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #1467
Spiwak
is not wierd

Wimbledon
Hot Shots: Part Deux
Leaving Las Vegas

The only one I really care to talk about is Leaving Las Vegas. What a sucker-punch this movie gave me late last night around 2:00 AM EST. I had wanted to see it for several years but for various reasons had been unable to see it to its entirety, and seeing it all the way through now makes me realize I missed out on something special. Usually these endlessly depressing movies that tease with hints of optimism only to crush them (nevermind that by the end of the film there is a faint glimmer of hope that washes over you for some reason) really bother me because I feel as though the director is forcing me to feel the tragedy of the situations with heavy-handed scenes and all that. Leaving Las Vegas is the rare tragic movie that actually makes me feel something for the characters and moreover look inward and examine my thoughts of people, the future, the world. It is theoretically a rather simple dual-character study, with not much in the way of actual storyline and instead just a collage of scenes anchored by the characters and the actors so perfectly playing them; but the film becomes a lot more, because of the perfectly tragic, touching performances by the leads and because Figgis knows how to create atmosphere with the camera and with music. It is a movie of emotional ups-and-downs for the viewer, but because it is crafted so perfectly, it works. Nevermind that both main characters are horrible cliches of cinema, it's so easy to just brush that aside while you're watching it.

Sorry, I'm gushing. In any case, I liked the movie.