View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 04:32 AM   #8056
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
-100 degrees - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Scotland
wear a vest and pull down their ear flaps.
I wonder what Santa was doing there in the first place. Oh well, a vacation of some sort I guess... It's not like he lives there or anything.

OK, I'm going to write a hideously bad piece of prose with a killer cliffhanger ending, and will only finish the story if nobody else posts in the thread. OK, guys/gals?

*ahem*

The rain was lashing down as the car reached the viewpoint. George slammed on the breaks, and his Ford Mustang skidded slightly as it came to a halt. Flipping open the glove compartment he retrieved a small umbrella, which gave off a slightly musty odour. Then, swearing lightly under his breath, he pushed open the car door and stepped out into the downpour.

I may as well have not brought this damn thing, George thought as he jogged towards the edge of the precipice. His clothes were now drenched, and the water was dripping down his hair and into his eyes. Removing his glasses for a second, he wiped them across the only dry patch left on his jacket, before returning the spectacles, which now had an oddly shaped blob of grease on them, to his nose.

Had she?

Had she really?

He was standing on the edge now, looking down. It must be a good hundred feet to the bottom, he thought. He was staring down into the gorge, and his eyes were flitting between different, faintly-visible dark patches visible at the bottom. And then two things hit him.

The first was that she was gone. She was really gone. It took George a minute to regain his composure. He was staring down into the void, and yet he felt like the void was now within him. It was like a hundred knives stabbing him at once. He turned to move back to the car. He needed to sit down.

And then the brick hit him. As he lurched backwards, staggering as he tried to maintain a foothold in the mud around his feet, the face of a man swam into view.

"You..." George whispered.

But the rest was lost as George fell backwards and felt the wind rush up to meet him.