View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 AM   #26
Gordon Bennett

The most overrated game I can think of, at least in terms of sales, is The Crystal Key. It's mediocre at best, yet sold phenomenally well. What mkes it even more bizarre is that Dreamcatcher was selling the rather underrated Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy at about the same time and for the same price, IIRC.

Alice: An Interactive Museum is, I think, overrated. It's good, but I think that most of its repuatation comes from its rarity. L-Zone and Gadget were both better.

As for underrated, a lot of that has been addressed in the "obscure yet good games" thread. I'll mention the Mercenary series again here, and point out the existence of the freeware MDDClone for Windows. Play it.

I think that Willy Beamish is underrated. It's a good, classic inventory and dialogue game, with a great cartoon feel to it.

Martian Memorandum is another one that is underrated. As a game, it's every bit as entertaining as the later three Tex Murphy games, but is often forgotten. Mean Streets was a bit lacking, granted, but Martian Memorandum was superb.