View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #25
Veracious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
I've been getting more and more fed up with the LucasArts snobbery on the boards as of late. Besides the Gabriel Knight series, it seems quite a few people are out to constantly bash Sierra's adventure games, and for the same two reasons: You can die, and you can get stuck. Personally, I like both aspects, as it makes me play the games much more thoroughly. I look at everything, try to pick up everything, etc... And save often.
I don't think that I have actually finished any old Sierra adventure game that I've played. Or even played them more than a couple of hours worth. The reason being the difficulty of the games either by means of dying too often or just having plain too hard puzzles (unsuitable for me).

A few days ago I felt like trying some old adventure games that I had not played before or that I hadn't finished and one of the very first ones I tried was King's quest 1 VGA remake. I watched the introduction and quite liked the mood it set for the game; it got me interested to start exploring the world. However, when the playing started it only took me one mouse click to get myself killed I had to laugh. It all came back to me, the reason why I had quit playing the game before. I watched the moat snake finish the prince and then I quit the game, again.

That type of gameplay just totally kills the fun for me. Then I remembered that I hadn't finished Monkey Island 4 and that you can't die in those games, so I reinstalled the game and enjoyed it from the beginning to the end (apart from the monkey kombat finale). After finishing MI4 I played 5 Days a Stranger, which became the first AGS game that I've finished and liked the mood of it quite a bit. I did die in the game twice before I finished it but it didn't feel like hindrance at all. It is admittedly necessary for a scary game to have that aspect of thrill to it, which is similar to horror movies.

A nice text by Ron Gilbert about why (old, really old) adventure games suck: http://grumpygamer.com/2152210

Well, enough of that off-topic chatter.

Most underrated:

Planescape Torment. Not a pure adventure game but I would rate it as one. You don't really play it because of the character (as an rpg, gaining levels & items & whatnot) but because of the story. You just want to know what will happen next. Has a uniqueness to it parrallelling that of Grim Fandango. Underrated by mass-market, although critics did like it.

A quote from imdb.com:
Quote:
While praised almost universally, it failed to capture the mass-market imagination in the same way that its predecessor Baldur's Gate did - selling around 400,000 copies. The original Diablo game (albeit a rather different sort of game) reputedly sold approximately 20 times the amount of copies Torment did.
Most overrated:

Old Sierra adventure games (KQ, PQ, QG, ...). I haven't played any Gabriel Knight games, so I can't say anything about them. I think I will still some day try playing at least KQ1 again just to see how it really is and if I can get over the barriers these games present to me. At the moment I feel they aren't that fun to play and thus overrated.