View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #80
jacog
Kung Fu Code Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
You're absolutely right. It's just a bit disappointing for us Mac and Linux users because we'll most likely not see this game ported to our platforms due to Wintermute's DirectX-orientation.

I'm not a programmer but every now and then friends of mine who work in software companies moan about the pain of DirectX/OpenGL conversion.
I am a Linux devotee myself, but chose Wintermute for the development of our company's debut adventure title. While the development tools are Windows only, games created using WME run just fine on Linux when you run them with Winex/Cedega.

The upcoming version of Codeweavers' Crossover Office product will also have DirectX support with a focus on running games, as well as a MacIntel version. We have been having some very early chats with them about possibly adding Linux and MacIntel installers on the final release CD.

And while running programs atop an abstraction layer is not "native" per se, the performance is great. I actually got a much higher frame rate with Morrowind under Linux/Winex than running it natvely under Windows, even with all the water-effects on.

Agreed on some points though... DX is very single platform, and developing for APIs like SDL or Crystalspace is ultimately the best way to do cross-platform development.

For info about running WME games on Linux:
http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=619.0