View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #63
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
BOLD emphasis is mine!

This is slightly off-topic, but it's sacrilegious to prepare hot chocolate with water! Unless you are lactose intolerant, you should always use milk for hot chocolate.

When I am on holiday skiing, I always make a point of asking whether or not they prepare the Hot chocolate with water or milk, when eating on one of the Alms (Yes, this is grammatically correct. It's "Auf der Alm", not "In der Alm" - "On the Alm", not "In the Alm"). I know it's rude, but I will never again drink a hot chocolate prepared with water that I had to pay for. If you are selling the stuff, you're just a cheapskate. I'll accept it if people do it at home (There might be people who prefer it that way, too.), but a restaurant should pay a little more to get milk, if they don't want to lose customers.

-
I don't agree with you. I make hot chocolate or cocoa with expensive Dutch processed cocoa which I mix with the sugar while dry to eliminate lumps, then add water to cook it (cocoa needs to be cooked), then after a few minutes cooking, I add milk or cream. If you try to cook cocoa in milk/cream, the scum will form on the top and it prevents the cocoa from being cooked properly. After adding the milk/cream, it only needs to be warmed, not hot enough to cook it. I also add a bit of real vanilla, and a tiny bit of salt to help bring out the flavor. I have never found a 'mix' to come close to my version. This way you can make it as strong or creamy as you like it.

Lynsie