Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Karmillo
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

And the conclusion
Quote:
<Huzmondo> Please note that I'm actually LOLing at this conversation
<Jeysie> WAIT!
<Huzmondo> You wouldn't think it possible to get confused over the word "kettle"
<Jeysie> Now I understand the confusion!
<Karmillo> Same, Im saving this convo forever!
<Jeysie> You Brits have separate water-heating devices which are vessel and heating implement at the same time!
<Jeysie> Over here, we generally just heat water in vessels on a stove or in a microwave!
<Jeysie>

<Dale> yeah, they're called kettles
<Dale>

<Jeysie> So over here, a kettle is just a type of fancy-pants vessel for heating water in, nothing special.
<Huzmondo> Hee, yes, although I suppose technically they are ELECTRIC kettles. We just use "kettle" to mean "electric kettle" generally, though. :~
<Huzmondo> Can we go back to being confused? That was more fun.

<Dale> can do
<Dale> *pop*

<Karmillo> by the way, what do you do when your making a Pot Noodle Jeysie?
<Huzmondo> Can you see why boiling water in a kettle saves time when cooking pasta now?
<Jeysie> Which is why I got confused. Over here, you heat water for specific purposes... so you never call a vessel a kettle (unless it's for tea), you call it what it *is*. Saucepan, pasta pot, measuring cup, mug... etc.
<Jeysie> Huz: Well... no. You have to cook the pasta on a stove anyway, so I'd still rather just heat the water on the stove in the pasta pot.

<Huzmondo> You shove the kettle on while preparing the rest of your pasta gubbins, so by the time you add the water it's already boiling.
<Jeysie> Sorry, still doesn't make any sense.
<Huzmondo> God. ;P
<Karmillo> POT NOODLES! what do you do for them?
<Jeysie> AGH!
<Dale> put cold water in and wait for the sun to heat it up

<Jeysie> OK, first Karm, then Huz.
<Huzmondo> SoccerDude's "silly songs" thread will be the end of me
<Karmillo> Glottis Image pot noodle
<Glottis> Karmillo: "pot noodle" returned a dead image. Cry.
<Karmillo> what? nonsense!
<Jeysie> Karmillo: If I was making pot noodles (I'm assuming you mean like ramen noodles or something), I'd either heat water in a saucepan on the stove or heat water in a measuring cup in the microwave.
<Jeysie> Most likely a measuring cup.

<Huzmondo> No, a "pot noodle" is a delicacy popular in Scotland!
<Dale> if you were without saucepan and microwave, would you resort to your kettle?
<Huzmondo> It's a plastic tub containing the noodles, the idea being that you add boiling water and you have a ready-made meal.
<Jeysie> Dale: If I owned a tea kettle, possibly.
<Karmillo> what? only in Scotland?
<Jeysie> Huz: Oh, that!
<Jeysie> Huz: Same explanation, then, actually.

<Huzmondo> Pft.
<Huzmondo> Get a kettle, it'll be a revelation!
<Huzmondo> No more slaving over a stove!
<Huzmondo> Flick a switch! You have boiling water!

<Dale> woo
<Karmillo> so wait, you take the noodle out of the Plastic cup and put in in a real pot?
<Jeysie> Huz: I have a MICROWAVE. Not only does it heat water, it heats other things, too! Why on earth do I need a kettle which does nothing but heat water?
<Huzmondo> Ease of use?
<Karmillo> cause its cheap and easy
<Jeysie> Karmillo: No.
<Jeysie> Huz: I dunno, I find pouring water into a vessel and sticking it into the microwave pretty easy, but maybe that's just me.

<Karmillo> think of this jeysie, what if you need to heat water AND use something else in the micro?
<Jeysie> Karmillo: Then I stick both the water and the something else into the microwave at the same time.
<Huzmondo> Ah, but a kettle? Pour water into a vessel and then the vessel heats it up by itself. One fewer step!
<Karmillo> and the kettle stores water aswell, you can heat up a load of water and it will be hot for a few hours
<Dale> kettles store water?
<Dale> that's handy!
<Dale> wouldn't want the water leaking out everywhere

<Jeysie> Huz: Anyway, the process of making pasta in my household generally consists of: Pour water into pasta pot. Pour sauce into saucepan. Heat sauce and boil water. Add pasta to water once it's boiled. Cook pasta. Pour sauce into pasta pot. Mix. Serve.
<Dale> sounds like a lot of effort
<Huzmondo> Jeysie needs one of those pasta kettles.
<Dale> heh
<Karmillo> lol
<Jeysie> Dale: I fail to see how using a kettle would make it any easier, aside from having to use both the stove and the kettle, then pour the hot water from the kettle into the pasta pot...
<Dale> yeah, but job done at that point
<Jeysie> Dale: But I still have to wait for the water to boil, and it's more work to have to transplant the water from one place to the other instead of just having it in the pot all along.
<Dale> my kettle is 20 centimeters from my stove
<Jeysie> Dale: Yes, but that's still 20cm more than having the water in the pot all the time.
<Karmillo> but it saves time
<Dale> and it takes seconds to boil, rathern than minutes
<Jeysie> Karmillo: How does heating the water in one place and transporting it save time over heating the water in the pot you're actually going to use it in?
<Karmillo> caust the kettle boils faster
<Dale> kettles boil quickly
<Jeysie> I'll take your word for it.
<Jeysie> Personally, I always figured that boiling time was based on... volume of water...

<Dale> well it is
<Dale> but kettles still do it fater

<Huzmondo> And power.
<Dale> faster
<Jeysie> Huz: Stoves are pretty powerful.
<Huzmondo> Kettles are 1KW of dedicated WATER BOILING POWER.
<Huzmondo> As opposed to BOTTOM OF PAN HEATING power.

* Jeysie rolls her eyes.
<Karmillo> Jeysie the stove heas to heat the pot, wich has to then heat the water
<Karmillo> but the kettle takes the heat straight to the water

<Jeysie> OK, you Brits can do whatever you like, but don't expect me to think it makes any sense.
<Karmillo> thats why its quicker
<Dale> heh
<Jeysie> Anyway. I still have one question...
<Karmillo> is it about Pot Noodles?
<Jeysie> Dale... why do you need hot water to use your kettle? Cold water actually can get hot, you know.
<Dale> no, i need the kettle to make hot water
<Dale> so I can do the washing up
<Dale> in not-cold water

<Jeysie> OK, now I get it.
<Dale> i could use a saucepan, but that's slow

<Jeysie> I misread it as... "I have a mountain of dishes that'll get washed
<Jeysie> This is what happens when you people put the same thought on two different lines. when I have hot water tomorrow, and a kettle that knows I'll abuse it once I have hot water."

<Dale> dear oh dear
<Jeysie> Anyway, one of you should save this conversation and post it on the forums. Best case, it'll spark a debate. Worst case, everyone will get to rag on me, which is no different than all the time, really.
<Huzmondo> We definitely need to have a discussion about the pros and cons of kettles
<Karmillo> I could do that, I saved it already
<Huzmondo> It could run and run, even longer than Thread Must Die I reckon.
<Jeysie> I've decided that my only purpose in life is to be the group Straight (Wo)Man in terms of comedy.
<Karmillo> but do you mean as a new Thread?
<Jeysie> I.E. I behave perfectly serious and everyone picks on me.
<Jeysie> Karmillo: Yeah, as a new thread.