View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #1253
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Wasn't Apocalypse Now Redux widely considered to be inferior to the original release, too?
I don't think so. From what I've read, after seeing bot hversions many people felt the first one was strangely incomplete, even though a lot of the reinserted scenes don't necessarily add to the "plot" so much as the general atmosphere. I've only seen the Redux though...and loved it.

Cronenberg's Crash > Haggis' Crash any ol' day of the week. (I think I've said that before in this very thread.) Haggis, just like in Million Dollar Baby, turned a decent premise into an over-the-top and, even worse, unbelievable melodrama. I'm well aware that some of the story wasn't supposed to be "believable" but that's not what I'm referring to--the melodrama aspects that came out in the last third or so just really didn't feel right, and the whole time I Was imagining some guy behind my television screen turning the movie into that simply to manipulate my emotions. If a drector can skillfully manipulate me then I'll gladly surrender myself, but Haggis didn't do it subtly enough at all for it to work for me. Same with Million Dollar Baby (which he only wrote), which was a real shame because before the last twenty minutes that was turning into an awesome experience.

EDIT: and I'd have to agree with jat. Out of the nominees Brokeback Moutnai ndeserved it more than Crash. Actually History of Violence or Match Point or even New World deserved it more than either one though.

Last edited by Spiwak; 05-13-2006 at 07:05 PM.