View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #1243
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Actually I'm pretty sure there was a lot more than just the nude scene added back into Amadeus, more to the tune of 20 minutes-worth (what my DC DVD says, anyway). In general, if there is a director's cut I'd always go straight to that one. It's rare that a movie is actually hurt by the additions because they were originally supposed to be there in the first place. I should note the distinction between "Director's Cut" and "Unr8d Edition" though, as it's sometimes pretty obvious that material that was never meant to be in the movie is added to these misleading "unrated" editions (unrated simply because they were nto shown to the MPAA, not because the content is so much racier). That sort of thing is marketing, not vision.

But if it's a movie that has a director I'm familiar with and/or respect, then I'd go for the director's cut automatically.
I agree. I mean, a Director's Cut means its the director's favorite version of the film so... However, an Extended Cut would be a different story, like the Lord of the Rings movies. Peter Jackson prefers the theatrical cuts for pacing reasons, but he released the Extended Cuts for the fans that want as many little details from the books as they can get. Jackson believes the theatrical cuts play better as films. So really, in cases like that, it's just up to the viewer's preference I guess.